Your Boise dentist will do everything they can to avoid tooth loss in their patients, but sometimes it is unavoidable. Before you need Boise crowns and bridges, Boise tooth implants or dentures, keep reading to learn about some of the most common causes of adult tooth loss so you can try your best to avoid them:
- Gum disease: The number one cause of tooth loss in adults is gum disease (periodontal disease), an infection of the structures that support the teeth. Once gum disease reaches and destroys the alveolar bone, teeth begin to loosen and will eventually fall out or need to be extracted.
- Tooth decay: Cavities (tooth decay) are permanently damaged areas on the enamel of the teeth that develop into tiny openings or holes. If left untreated, cavities not only destroy tooth structure but can lead to infection in the supporting bone as well.
- Tooth injury: An injury to the tooth can be caused by a number of reasons: auto accidents, falls, sports, etc. The tooth can either be knocked out or damaged in such a way that may require an extraction. If you play sports, your Boise dentist recommends using a mouthguard to protect your teeth.
- Tooth fracture: Tooth fractures can range from minor (chipping) to severe (fractures of the root). A serious fracture should be treated promptly, and Boise crowns and bridges may be the answer, but depending on the location of the fracture and how deeply it extends, the tooth may or may not respond well to the repair, and may need to be extracted instead.
What are the risk factors for tooth loss?
- Poor oral hygiene: Poor dental hygiene can lead to a wide variety of Boise dental health problems. People who only occasionally brush and floss their teeth are more likely to develop tartar, plaque buildup, and other bacteria that can cause decay.
- Not visiting the dentist: Seeing your Boise dentist every six months for a cleaning and checkup helps to prevent a patient from developing any serious Boise dental health issues while ensuring that plaque and tartar do not build up over time.
- Smoking: People who smoke or use smokeless tobacco are more likely to develop periodontal disease that can cause tooth loss. If you are a smoker it is crucial to visit your Boise dentist on a timely schedule.
- Various health conditions: People who suffer from high blood pressure, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis and other chronic health issues are more likely to suffer from gum disease and other major Boise dental health problems.
When you pay attention to your Boise dental health, you can significantly reduce your risk for tooth loss. Schedule an appointment at Summit Dental today, and your Boise dentist can help to provide you with an accurate diagnosis when it comes to adult tooth loss in addition to a variety of treatment options.